|This formational experience will move leaders to a greater awareness and practical stewardship of their own physical, emotional, relational, vocational, financial, and spiritual wellbeing. This course will explore theology and the sciences on human flourishing. By looking at Scripture and scientific research on wellbeing, we will discover practices and virtues that have Biblical and empirical validity. From his ten years of experiences of working with pastors, Dr. Miller will give special attention to the unique challenges facing Christian leaders and their wellbeing. Topics will include a theology of spiritual formation and human change, a rule of life, human wellbeing as bio-psycho-social-spiritual creatures, and the practices of self-stewardship as spiritual disciplines. Through teaching, discussions, readings, guided experiences of spiritual disciplines, and self-chosen practices, this course is structured to assist leaders in developing regular lifestyle habits which contribute toward their own wellbeing.|
COURSE OBJECTIVES: The following course objectives describe the formational outcomes that the processes and content of this course are designed to develop within participants. Through participation in this formational course, participants will:
• Grow in love for the Triune God
• Grow in awareness of God’s love for them and godly self-love
• Develop in personal theology of spiritual formation
• Develop a personal theology of human flourishing and bio-psycho-social-spiritual well-being
• Become sensitized and better prepared to face the unique spiritual, psychological, relational, physical, vocational, and financial challenges of Christian leadership in the current cultural context
• Practice a few spiritual disciplines and lifestyle habits which partner with God’s work within them for their own formation and wellbeing
• Develop and implement a personal “rule of life” which is life-giving, fitting, and sustainable
• Cultivate theological conviction and practices of self-stewardship
• Become more lovingly attentive and responsible for your own wellbeing
COURSE FORMAT & SCHEDULE: As the basic formational course, a cohort of participants will meet for retreats over a specified period of time. During the retreat intensives, participants will enjoy quality teaching, contemplative exercises, and small groups of peer coaching. They will also have the opportunity to meet with professional specialists such as spiritual directors, licensed professional counselors, life/wellness coaches, personal trainers, and dietitians. In between the retreats, participants will experiment with self-chosen practices, read, and meet with their peer coaching group. After the retreats are complete, participants will have professional resources available to them to help them implement make their most-desired changes and implement their “rule of life.” To learn more about the format of a formational course, read the formational course page.
COURSE DISTINCTIVES: What makes this course unique from a college or seminary course, a retreat, a health improvement program (i.e. weight loss program), or seeing a professional counselor or life coach for eight months?
• Attention given to the whole person and the interdependent factors which contribute to our wellbeing
• Exposure to some of the most recent knowledge we have on the topic of human wellbeing
• Dialogue between Christian theology and scientific perspectives
• First-hand knowledge from the instructor’s ten years of experience of close work with hundreds of leaders
• The integration of our spiritual lives with the various components of our wellbeing
• A small and confidential community to assist you in making lifestyle changes for your long-term wellbeing
• The rhythm of retreat intensives with time to practice and process
• Private meetings with spiritual directors, professional counselors, life coaches, trainers, dietitians, and financial advisors
• Combines six dynamics which assist spiritual formation and human change: (1) traditional learning to provide fresh perspectives (teaching, discussion, and reading), (2) practices in community and privately in our real-life contexts, (3) personal assistance from professionals, (4) a safe and supportive community, (5) intensive experiences within a longer-term process, and, of course, (6) God’s empowering grace and Spirit through it all
COSTS OF TIME, ENERGY, AND MONEY: Formational courses are about spiritual formation, lifestyle development, and personal change. Change and growth cost us. Hence, the costs of time, energy, and money should be considered beforehand. Ask yourself: am I ready and willing to invest in my own growth for my long-term wellbeing?
The course requirements are the practices and experiences which will help participants embody the course objectives. In order to receive the certificate of completion, participants are required to:
• Participate in all retreat intensives
• Develop a personal “rule of life” which is life-giving, fitting and sustainable
• Implement a lifestyle habit as a spiritual discipline that is relevant to their own wellbeing
• Participate in peer coaching, a small group for facilitating growth
• Receive private ministry at the retreat intensives
• Read and discuss all 6 required books
• Read and report on a selected reading from a list of choices
• Complete personal assessment reports at the beginning and end of the course
To help you discern whether this course is good for you at this time, we must first acknowledge that productive change and growth will cost us. So, ask yourself: What is my long-term wellbeing worth? Am I ready and willing to invest in my own growth in this way?
FLOURISH doesn’t want finances to hinder the wellbeing of Christian leaders! So, if the financial cost is beyond what you or your can afford, go to your church or sponsoring organization. Many churches and organizations want to invest in the wellbeing of their leaders! You can then send the link to this page for information.
NEED MORE INFORMATION? If you still have a question about the formational course, “A Leader’s Wellbeing,” or would like Dr. Miller to come share with the leaders of your church or organization about this course, feel free to contact him.